Radish - Rabano
(Raphanus sativus L)
Search This Site
Type in Ailment or Herb
- Origin: Wild relatives of assumed ancestry
of cultivated radishes grow in Mediterranean to Near East region, though
immediate origin is not determined. Earliest record of utilization was in Egypt
(B.C.2700). Radishes proceeded toward east through several pathway, with
secondary development in several locations, and established as old natives
through temperate area from Europa to Japan. Though their variation is
continuous, European and Asian group can be recognized, and the latter can be
divided into North Chinese group in cool, dry area and South Chinese group in
warm, wet area. Japanese radish (Daikon) basically belongs to South Chinese
group, but with unique characteristics.
- Characteristics: Radishes have non-splitting silique,
unlike Brassicas. Leaves are basically haired and bi-pinnatesected. Glabrous,
entire leaves are unique to Asian groups. Cultivated forms are usually biannual
with enlarged root. Variation of the size is quite large. Varieties with thin
roots are used for fresh leaves or pods. Some of the latter are annual with
extra-long silique. The color of root surface (other than white) is either red,
purple, yellow or black for European group; green, red or purple for North
Chinese group. Some of the latter show pigments in root flesh.
- Utilization: Enlarged roots of large varieties are
either eaten fresh, cooked, picked or dried. Leaves (of young seedlings) are
cooked. Small varieties and sprouts are eaten as salad.
L.Sazonova, Bull.Apl.Bot.Genet.and Plant
Rabano - Radish Link
Properties of Rabano Favored by Aztec's
- Stimulates the Appetite,
- Stimulate Sweat and Urine Production,
- Tones and Purifies the Blood and Prevents Muscle Fatigue,
- Cures Laryngitis and
- Bronchial Infections,
- Fights Anemia and
- Helps Dissolve Bile Stones
Aztec's Method of Use
- Eat Radish, (making sure it is washed and disinfected), in a
salad or better yet Drink a cup after meals of the brew made from 7 to 15 grams
of Rabano Root to 1/2 a liter of water.
- To Cure Laryngitis, Bronchial and Throat Infections: Drink Daily whenever thirsty the brew made from 50 grams of Radish to 1/2 liter of water, sweetened with Honey.
- To Fight Anemia: Take a Tablespoon 3 Times a Day of the Radish Syrup made by boiling 150 grams of Unpeeled radish; (Boil for 20 Min. in 1 and 1/2 liter of
water)add 750 grams of Sugar and 22 Drops of Tincture of Iodine, Boil without
stopping until syrup consistency is achieved.
- To Dissolve Bile Stones: Eat 20 grams of
Rabano Negro in the Morning on an Empty Stomach and then
the Same Dose at Night Before Bed.
It Is a Very Good Remedy!
Click Here To Buy This Herb
Click Here To Buy Rabano Yodado (Iodized Radish)
More Remedies Here
This presentation is not a guide to the identification of plants or their use
as a substitute for standard medical treatments.
Many plants with medicinal properties are also toxic and frequently
if taken at incorrect dosages or if not prepared in a specific fashion.
We do not advocate the consumption of reputed medicinal plant products
without prior consultation with your physicianor other natural plant products professional.
Consult Your Physician Before Using a Herbal Remedy!
Only Counter Below